8.11.2012

When I cried because of the kind driver


Yesterday I was driving home late at night and I guess I didn't turn the knob for my lights on all the way. I only turned it halfway - which is stupid engineering anyway, it should just be on/off. 

So I'm driving down the road and someone flashes their lights at me . . . but was it at me? It couldn't be because my lights are on - my dash board is lit up. Silly car . . . flashing their lights pointlessly and confusing me.

I get onto the thruway on ramp and it goes from two lanes to one but the guy next to me is being stupid and won't speed up so I glance over at him and he makes a hand gesture at me as I speed up to get in front of him.

"Great, he's pissed cause I went ahead of him," I think. "Whatever I'll go fast and get away from him." 

And then this fear starts building up in me because this man in his fancy black car won't speed up or fall behind me, he's staying right next to me. My imagination is way too vivid so I'm pretty sure I'm about to get in an accident because this drunk and furious man has decided I'm a threat to him. 

"Just be calm and don't look over. Don't turn your head." 

Finally he honks his horn and I'm forced to look over. My life didn't flash before my eyes - but it should have - brain mis-function. 

He points to the front of my car, and indignantly I'm leaning forward trying to see what I'm missing. Am I dragging an animal? No . . . it's just that my lights aren't on. And now I'm swerving into this not angry just really nice man's lane. 

The tears commenced almost immediately. I can laugh about it now but it was such a flood of every emotion. Not to mention is was late and I had had a rough day. First the fear, then the thankfulness, then feeling bad for judging that man, and then feeling stupid for not having my lights on. 

It was just a lot for one friday night. 

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment